Thursday, March 20, 2008

More on Race

I was just reading Pam on Obama's speech:

And yet, he was not afraid to challenge people of all colors in denial that the conversations kept out of polite company need to come out of the closet. All of us need to work through the fear that words will be misunderstood or poorly received. Trust must be built, thicker skin must be developed, and emotional effort must be expended to solve these problems.

This is the kind of stuff that wears on people of color on a day-to-day basis, but I’d rather put my energies into talking this stuff out than taking my ball and going home, or as Obama referred to, retreating to our corners. I wish others would do the same.

I honestly do not know what this means, by which I mean that I do not know what we're going to next. Talk? Where? How? What are we supposed to say to each other? "Hi, my name is Wendy, and I'm a racist"? or "I'm ok, you're ok even if you are a racist"?

I'm a pragmatist. What do we do next?

Once again, Crash did all this navel-gazing already. It took racial prejudice out of the closet and showed people doing and saying all sorts of racist things while also showing them trying to be decent people. And it was decried as crap by a lot of liberals.

Amanda et al talk a little about Crash.

No comments: