Tuesday, October 14, 2008

A Time to Evaluate

So, today I heard what I thought I'd hear some day this year. I heard from my son's teacher that she thinks he could use an evaluation and that some of his behaviors are odd and not within the norm of 6-7-year-old behavior.

Whatever is going on is very likely not a huge problem, but it's enough to (and I'm sorry to say it this way, but I'm sure you understand) make for a lot of work. My husband isn't really skilled at dealing with this sort of thing, so it's up to me. But it's time-consuming.

I've spent most of my afternoon and evening reading/researching various OTs and psychologists, trying to figure out where to bring him for an evaluation. (He's had an evaluation once before, but I was underwhelmed by the psychologist we saw.) I have to call the OT at the school to have him observed/evaluated, as well. And I have to choose one of the many doctors/OTs/whatevers to evaluate him. (Note: the first eval was done by a psychologist my pedi recommended, so I've exhausted that easier avenue of research.)

Part of me resists because I don't want to overreact. I hate the idea of being a helicopter parent. I don't think kids should be perfectly clean, perfectly behaved angels all the time. However, I haven't really been exposed to many 6 year old boys; I came from a family of girls. Is there a gender difference? I don't know. People keep saying to me "Well, boys are different." I've always suspected that maybe it's my son who's different.

Meanwhile, I have a community service project I'm managing this term, a presentation on social media to give next week, an online course to develop to start the last week of November, and a conference presentation to give in 3.5 weeks. *sigh* I have no time for this!

5 comments:

MH said...

Add me to the 'Well, boys are different" column.

Liz Ditz said...

Came over from 11D. My youngest (a daughter) is 19. She has dyslexia, and is now a sophomore at a selective East-Coast college I'm training to be an educational therapist.

I gather your son is in public school, and therefore you are entering into the Special Education world. First best advice I can give you: go over to Wrightslaw and study, study, study. Wrightslaw will give you good guidance on what sorts of evaluations will be most useful for your son's future progress.



http://www.wrightslaw.com/

Wendy said...

Liz, Thanks for the advice. We have a meeting set up for Wednesday with various school personnel. I will definitely spend some time researching.

Amy P said...

I've got an email correspondence going with my 6-year-old daughter's teacher. C has been complaining that no one will play with her, but observation suggests that 1) she isn't making eye-contact, speaking loudly enough to be heard and making sure that she has her target's attention and 2) she has been turning down offers of activities she is uninterested in. I think the teacher (a sweet person) is rather shell-shocked by dealing with C (who has a very strong personality, to put it nicely). We've been sharing observations and ideas, and the current plan is to set C up with a playmate before leaving for the playground, with the understanding that the kids will take turns playing each other's favorite game. We've also talked about creating an incentive system, which in my experience with C is the only way to break the log-jam of despair, uncooperativeness and I-can't-do-it. On my side, I've told the teacher that I'm going to take C to all the class birthdays I can and try to get her a playdate every week.

Anonymous said...

I don't want to use words and labels that don't reflect what you're experiencing, but the university of washington web site has a nice series of video clips on autism.

http://depts.washington.edu/uwautism/video/video.html

(bj)