Thursday, February 19, 2009

Allowance and Responsibility

I'm letting my 9.5 year old and 6.5 year old make cookies right now. I am in the bedroom. They are in the kitchen working together. I rewrote the directions (simplifying a little) from the bag, and I softened the butter in the microwave first, but otherwise, they are going to do it all by themselves. I can hear them cooperating on it right now. Warms the cockles of my heart. :)

I was cooking french toast by myself when I was 5 or 6. I'd stand on an upside down can that had once held blocks. I can't believe it's taken this long for me to relinquish cooking to the kids.

Anyway, the WSJ Juggle blog had an entry on kids' allowances, headlined by the "shocking" news that Sasha and Malia Obama each get $1/week allowance. One more thing the Obamas and we have in common! Our kids also get $1/week allowance. They have minimal chores and seem disinclined to take on more. So, no larger amount of allowance. *shrug* So far, no complaints. They use the money to save to buy Webkinz. Works for me.

No comments: