Monday, March 30, 2009

Texting

My kids are almost 10 and almost 7. My daughter went to a party once, and a guest, same age, was glued to her cell phone the whole time. I also teach college, and I have students surreptitiously texting all the time, then "forgetting" what I said in class 10 times.

So I found this article and especially its comments interesting.

My favorite comment: "I hope he comes around too. So that when I catch Precious Daughter in my college classroom texting her friends and otherwise goofing off, I can toss her out of my class. Learn now, or learn later."

Heh.

Another comment: "Your Blackberry makes you feel 'connected and important?' That is perhaps among the saddest things I’ve ever heard."

I know I'm addicted to my computer, but I'm not addicted to the social contacts/status so much as I am to getting info. Is there something new and interesting out there to think about? Can I look at the pretty words some more, please? Is there a new way to save money I need to know about?

From TPP, the editor of the blog:
"Interesting reaction. My 10 year old has a cell phone, but not for friends. She uses it to keep in touch with her parents after school, on the bus etc. It gives me great comfort knowing I can reach her when I need to."

*headdesk* Do we need that comfort? Do the kids need to know we know where they are at all times? Do we really know where they are?

One last comment from the very defensive Tara Parker-Pope:
"Technology is not a bugaboo. It has pros and cons sure — but for me, technology has been really liberating, giving me so much more flexibility to meet the demands of my job and still be available to my family. I remember one Saturday taking part in the school run-a-thon with my daughter. I had a work demand that day that I was able to manage because I had a blackberry. A parent made a rude “crackberry” comment that really annoyed me. I wasn’t addicted to my blackberry — I was BALANCING my life and quite well actually."

This reminds me of the breastfeeding debate we had over at 11D a few weeks ago. If a technology makes it easier for someone to balance life, is it necessarily a good idea? Did having the Blackberry mean TPP could balance her life, or did it mean that she couldn't? Does her willingness to carry the Blackberry to a family event mean that people who don't want to are pressured to do so? Does her choice make it harder for others to find a balance that works better for them? And is it her responsibility to consider these aspects of having a Blackberry/using a technology?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I find my iphone to be the most useful gadget ever. It means I can deal with my emails with one finger while breastfeeding my baby. So I guess I agree with TPP - the technology can liberate us from being stuck at home with the baby, as long as it doesn't take over ...