Monday, May 11, 2009

Tweeter and the Monkey Man

Saturday morning we packed up the car with enough clothes for one night, and we headed to the Lakes region of New Hampshire. Our plan was to visit the dog we are planning to adopt (he's undergoing some medical treatment - he's a rescue dog - and we won't be able to pick him up till the first week in June. But I figured we could make a little overnight trip out of it.

The Lakes region in NH in the spring is characterized by emptiness and blackflies. All the tourism brochures tout the beauties of the fall, the winter sports of the winter, and the fun of summer on the lake. Nothing about spring. I read somewhere it's called "Maple and Mud" season. Mm-hm.

After we visited the dog, we checked into our hotel, right on Lake Winnepesaukee, and immediately headed for the indoor pool, leading my daughter to pronounce this the "best hotel ever." Afterwards, we went to Friendly's, which I had promised my children. And on the way back, we stopped at Funspot, a famous local indoor arcade. I could play skee ball all day, but the kids were restless and wanted to bowl and play mini-golf. Sophie also played Pac-Man, which of course reminded us of this:



The next morning, we breakfasted and then scrapped our plans to go to the Squam Lake Nature Center because it was cold and windy. Instead, we went to the McAuliffe-Shepard Discovery Center in Concord. How anyone stays awake during those planetarium show, I have no idea. I got in a nice half-hour nap.

We returned home to find our yard robin celebrating mother's day with the hatching of 3 of her eggs:



The fourth one hatched overnight, but I was in a rush to get to my last 7 am class until September and couldn't pause to get a new photo.

And finally, the subject header of the post. Very often, we bring an iPod on car trips and end up listening to the kids' music. This time, I decided that it was mother's day and I should be able to listen to my music. My kids don't really get exposed to my favorite songs the way I was to my parents' music. I remember growing up listening to Bob Dylan, Peter Paul and Mary, doo-wop, and 45s like "Hooked on a Feeling." So I made the kids listen to Stevie Nicks, "Gold" by John Stewart, Paradise by the Dashboard Light, and Tweeter and the Monkey Man.

Now, what does Dylan have against Springsteen? Online sites claim it's a playful homage, but I can't help feeling a note of mockery. Maybe Dylan was resenting the fact that his son was obviously modeling himself after Springsteen:

No comments: