Thursday, May 28, 2009

What My Children Are Reading

The Well-Read Child has started a new weekly meme: What Our Children Are Reading. I figured I'd hop on the bandwagon.

Sophie (almost 10 years old) is reading Landry News, by Andrew Clement. I have to sit down and read Clement's books myself. I read the summaries and I like Clement's themes of children's creativity and empowerment.

At school she is reading Esperanza Rising, by Pam Munoz Ryan with her reading group.

Eric (almost 7 years old) is reading the Peanuts collection at night with his dad. He also is reading through the Magic Tree House series. Eric's reading habits are interesting. He'll often see the book somewhere (floor, kitchen table, couch), open it and start reading it wherever he is until he finishes it. He has been making a list of the Magic Tree House books he has read. He has a paper where he's written all the ones he has read on one side and all the ones he hasn't on the other. I think he erases a title and writes it on the right side when he finishes a book.

2 comments:

pussreboots said...

My son has worked through the first 8 of the Magic Tree House books. He'll probably check out more from the library this summer. Here's what we're currently reading.

Wendy said...

I love Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. There's a movie version coming out, too.

Eric just read Diary of a Wimpy Kid this weekend. Sat on the couch and read it straight through. He's such an energetic kid that when he's reading and the house is quiet, it's kind of eerie.