Thursday, August 20, 2009

Cape Cod or Bust? Bust.

My friend Ernie used to always say "Be careful what you wish for. You might get it."

I wished for some quiet time to read and enjoy sitting by the pond at the house we're renting on Cape Cod.

Well, I got it. Tuesday night we were biking back from an ice cream place when a biking clusterfuck happened, I tipped over and couldn't get my right foot out of the pedal clip in time. Broke my ankle: spiral fracture of the distal fibula. I'd post a pic of the beautiful wishbone-shaped fracture as seen on my x-ray, but I don't have a scanner, and the CD they gave me with my images works only on Windoze, and I haven't set up my Macbook to run Windoze yet.

I am still amazed that apparently I did not let lose any "unacceptable" language in front of the kids when I fell because it hurt so badly I thought I was going to throw up.

Yesterday I spent most of the day getting it cared for. First thing was to get an in-network doctor to look at it. That was a bitch and a half. I spoke to a "find a physician outside of RI" rep (she was located in Minnesota) and a customer service rep, and then my husband spoke to a CS rep because he had a different question about the deductible. It ends up we have 3 kinds of deductibles! A deductible for out of network care, a deductible for an individual's uncovered expenses and a deductible for the family's uncovered expenses. Wow.

Anyway, what no one at BCBS could tell me was that the walk-in center in Harwich was part of Cape COd Hospital which WAS covered under BCBS. However, the provider directory says no such thing. It also says there are no orthopedists in my plan within 50 miles of my zip code.

Fuck this health insurance/health care system. Just fuck it. Anyway, $125 later ($25 for the walk-in center to x-ray my foot and send me to CCH, which was $100 for ER care) and $8 for the crutches, which could be purchased only from a place in Yarmouth, apparently, I made it home, exhausted. We were all exhausted--kids, husband, me.

Now I have to contemplate the difficulties of what happens when a parent is incapacitated. I have crutches, but I can barely get around in them today. My body is still adjusting to having to use different muscles, and I'm sore all over. It doesn't feel bad enough to use pain meds, but maybe I should.

The other issue is that apparently the mom is not allowed to get sick/incapacitated. My kids are so nonplussed they don't know what to do. They're all starting to realize, I think, how much they depend on me keeping everything running smoothly. Right now they're in annoying stage. "Pick the crap up off the floor so I don't trip over it getting around on my crutches" is met with blank stares or annoyed sighs. Asking them to get me something so Ken doesn't have to run around to do it is met with resistance. Asperger's boy is actually a bit better than his older and supposedly more mature sister, who seems personally offended by my injury.

I think today is emotional angst day, though, so I'm willing to give it a little longer. Ken is going to talk to them while they're out on their outing. Meanwhile, my goal is to accomplish the following:
1. Bathe somehow. I stink. I swear, I needed a shower before the accident. It's way worse now.
2. Read my book (Hot Pursuit by Suzanne Brockmann).
3. Watch Monday's ep of The Closer.

I also have to work through a whole lot of other problems. I broke my right ankle, so I can't drive. How I am supposed to parent when I can't drive, I don't know. Also, we have 2 cars here on the Cape, and I have to figure out how to get two cars home when we have one driver. I also have to find an orthopedist to get me a cast, and I have to find out how long it's going to be so I can figure out how I'm going to get to and from work when it starts for me on September 2.

Some vacation! And it started so nicely. :(

1 comment:

Marta said...

popped over from 11D to tell you that i drive with a broken right ankle. just put it on the passenger side and use my left foot. guess that won't work if you have a clutch. might be worth trying otherwise.