Sunday, January 24, 2010

Wikipedia

I am quite excited, perhaps more so than circumstances warrant. I just edited my very first Wikipedia entry ever! It's the entry for Cindy Oh Cindy, a 1956 hit by Eddie Fisher and later apparently sung by the Beach Boys, though I don't know anything about that.

My guess is that a Beach Boys aficionado originally wrote the entry and just pulled in a link to the Robert Barron entry that already existed on Wikipedia. There is a Robert Barron who was an actor, and there is a web page out there that claims him as the author of "Cindy Oh Cindy." However, I think it's a mix-up. Robert Nemiroff, aka Lorraine Hansberry's husband, co-wrote the song with a friend. It's pretty much documented in Philip Rose's memoir.

I got intrigued because I learned that when Nemiroff wrote a hit pop song that made him rich, Hansberry was able to stop working and concentrate on writing. "Cindy Oh Cindy" was written in 1956, 3 years before "A Raisin in the Sun" debuted on Broadway.

We wouldn't have "A Raisin in the Sun" if not for "Cindy Oh Cindy."

No comments: