Saturday, November 06, 2010

Smart Aleck

In addition to our son having Asperger's Syndrome, he is highly gifted. This isn't unusual for kids with AS, but it really complicates dealing with our son. For one thing, he is "logic boy," which means he can argue his way out of anything, and second, he's developing a bit of overconfidence, even arrogance. "Yeah, I don't care" is his new catchphrase (I miss the days of the more charming "That does not make sense"). But he's getting really irritating lately.

So tonight I am researching resources for gifted kids. I want him to connect with other gifted kids. No, not so he can reach his potential. And no, not so he can have better opportunities to attend Harvard or something.

I want my kid to hang out with other gifted kids so he can be taken down a peg or two. I want him not to be the smartest 8 year old in the room. I'm not sure it's good for him socially. He's starting to remind me of Benedict Cumberbatch's interpretation of Sherlock Holmes.

ETA: Awesome clip from tonight's episode:


I'm not sure if that makes me a Good Parent or not.

2 comments:

laura said...

Really interesting link. Hadn't seen that before. Ian is emotion boy - predominantly fantasy.

Wendy said...

E has an element of emotion boy/OCD in him as well. That comes from my side of the family, specifically my sister and father. Our next step in therapy is flexible thinking--started that last week.