Sunday, June 05, 2011

Catching Up

March/April/May are always my busiest months. Something about the end of the academic year that brings on the work, no matter how hard I try to shed load.

So, where am I at? What's new? A lot of good stuff. I would feel a little guilty for my relative good fortune these days, but I know all things are temporary (or rather, cyclical--life is full of ups and downs--right now is an up).

1. I was promoted to full professor. We do not have tenure, so don't get too excited. But it's still nice.

2. We are travelling to England and France for our summer vacation. Highlight: my daughter and I are going to see Tennant and Tate in Much Ado About Nothing. It's going to be awesomesauce.

3. I wrote fanfiction for Parks and Rec. No, I will not show you what I wrote (and it's not on ff.net). But I scratched the itch, so to speak, and now I could care less about writing fanfic.

4. My son was accepted into the Davidson Young Scholars Program. I have no idea yet what that will do for us, but I guess it's an honor.

5. I've been working on genealogy, which is a relatively new pursuit. I decided to try to track down more info about my father's father's side of the family. And I've had remarkable success thanks to the Brooklyn Daily Eagle Online and the fact that my great-great-grandfather did not in fact come from a long line of ditchdiggers, as my father always said, but was in fact a highly respected musician and music teacher in the Brooklyn Public Schools. He died of a brain infection, when he was about 42 years old.

6. I got my husband tickets to see Book of Mormon on Broadway as a combined anniversary/Father's Day/birthday present. We don't go till the end of the summer.

7. I had to work very hard to get my daughter to agree with it after a few refusals, but she's taking flute lessons with a very skilled HS student and is enjoying them! All my old ways of parenting started failing once she turned 11, but I have adapted and am making progress in getting her to comply with my wishes.

8. My son has a basketball jones and is driving me insane dribbling in the house constantly. Maybe that's why I can't sleep at night!

9. I've been reading a bit. My favorite book of the year so far is Dash and Lily's Book of Dares, written by the same people who wrote Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist (and better than N&N, I think). I'm in the middle of a Regency romance now, then will read a Julia Quinn, but I'm contemplating reading the Game of Thrones series before the next book comes out next month. If I know myself, that will really involve me skimming until I get to the Tyrion parts. I'm also starting my Peter Dinklage Emmy Campaign soon.

10. I watched the Doctor Who midseason finale somehow *coughcough* and think it was superb. It'll air on BBC America next week? And then I'm just counting down to my favorite slutty vampire show, True Blood.

10 is a nice round number!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to hearing your Davidson experience. It's supposed to be more than an honor, though, but an advocacy organization that will help you find resources and opportunities for your child.

We haven't gone through the process, because I've thought our educational situations were solid anyway, and when people talk about Davidson, they're always so mysterious that I've never understood the purpose of joining.

But, I look forward to hearing whether Davidson helps you address your son's needs.

(bj)

Wendy said...

I have no idea what it will do. We have passwords to several secret message boards now. We're supposed to meet other parents. Our big problem is that E doesn't have age-mates as smart as he is. *shrug* It cost nothing to apply, so I'll figure it out as we go along.

Anonymous said...

I think that's some of what Davidson is supposed to help w/ too -- finding cognitively similar age mates.

Amy P said...

"We haven't gone through the process, because I've thought our educational situations were solid anyway, and when people talk about Davidson, they're always so mysterious that I've never understood the purpose of joining."

I believe the program involves catching a train from an invisible platform, but I may be confusing it with a different program.

Congratulations, Wendy!